Dec 7, 2006

Egg Curry

Egg Curry
Unlike the other recipes for Egg Curry, this curry has a thin sauce with pieces of onion floating around. The only thickener here is tomatoes. The sauce is very common North Indian red curry sauce. As a kid, I always ate Konkani food, because my Mom is a all Konkani cuisine lady. But my Mom-in-law is open to all kinds of kitchen experiments, she is one who introduced me to a lot of non Konkani foods. This is her recipe for Egg Curry.

2 Hard boiled eggs, cut into halves
2 medium onion
2 tomatoes
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste, optional
1/4 bunch cilantro

masala powders
1/2 tsp chilli
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp turmeric

for the seasoning
1/4 tsp jeera
1 sprig curry leaves

Hard boil eggs, cut them into 2 halves. Set aside.
Chop onions, tomatoes.
Heat oil in a kadai, add jeera, curry leaves. Add onions and fry till they are wilted. Add ginger garlic paste. Saute for a minute. Add all the masala powders and stir. Add tomatoes, cover and cook on a medium flame till the tomatoes are mushy and turn into a thick paste. Keep stirring so that they don't char in the bottom.

Add water to the desired consistency. Add salt, bring the sauce to rolling boil. Place egg halves on the sauce so that they float on the top. Garnish with cilantro on top. Put on low flame and cook for another 5 minutes.

Serve with rice.

7 comments:

FH said...

I love Egg curry,thank for this Manjula! Also looking at your Cabbage Pakoras is heaven to me today.It's very cold here.

Manjula said...

Hi Asha,
Glad you liked the Egg Curry. Yes, the Cabbage Pakoras are the best
Manjula

Anonymous said...

Egg curry tastes good, tried it today.. thanks

Unknown said...

Hi Manjula,

this is Kiranmayi Kamath from Bangalore,India.

I just love reading the recipes that you post on and thanks for putting the cabbage ambodo which I had totally forgotten.Let me do it today itself:):):)

Keep posting.

Manjula said...

Kiranmayi & Nayak mayi,
Glad you like my recipes. Let me know how it went for you.

Hope you will keep coming back.
Manjula

Sapna said...

Hi...
I had one question. Where do you get ukdo rice in USA?

Manjula said...

Hi Sapna,
Ukdo rice is sold under the name "Kutrimatta rice" or "Kerala Rice" in the Indian grocery stores.
Not all stores carry them. You might have to go a popular store. Also, since the last years ban on rice export, its become very expensive and rare to find. I would say its the most expensive rice now, almost double the price of basmati.