Apr 19, 2007

Chana-Poha or Kadle-Bajil (Chick Peas with Spicy Poha)

Chana-Poha
Chana with Poha, popularly known as Kadle-Bajil is a popular breakfast in Mangalore. Kadle is Chick Peas, Bajil is Poha in Tulu. Tulu is a local language in Mangalore/Dakshina Kannada and Udupi districts of Karnataka. Read as ChaNPhov in Konkani.

As I mentioned in the recipe for Chane Gashi, most of the Hindus have a tradition of eating Chana on every Fridays. My mom makes Chana Gashi and ChaNPov every alternate Fridays.



ChaNPhov is made up of 2 dishes. Chane Upkari, i.e. Stir Fried Chana and Phova Chutney, i.e. Poha mixed in Spicy coconut chutney.

Chane Upkari


Chane Upkari
1 cup chana/chick peas, white or black or kabuli
1 small potato
2-5 green chillies
1 tbsp coconut, fresh or frozen
small piece jaggery, optional
salt
pinch of hing

for seasoning
2 tsp oil, preferably coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves

Soak chana overnight or for 8 hrs, rinse and drain water. Pressure Cook with enough water until fully cooked. Dice potatoes and slit green chillies, add to the chana and cook till potatoes are done. Add hing, salt, jaggery and coconut and bring to a boil.

Make a seasoning with mustard seeds and curry leaves.

Poha Chutney


Poha Chutney
1/2 cup coconut, fresh or frozen
2 green chillies
1 red chilli, roasted
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp jeera
small piece jaggery
small piece tamarind
salt

for seasoning
2 tsp oil, preferably coconut oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves

2 cups thin poha
Grind all the ingredients except poha into a rough powder without adding any water. Transfer to a bowl and mix the poha and the spice powder with a squeezing action.

Make a seasoning with mustard seeds and curry leaves.

Poha chutney is a breakfast on its own, usually served with ripe banana. It is also along with Chane upkari or Upma.

Now lets put together the Chana and Poha for the famous Kadle Bajil

16 comments:

FH said...

Manjula,I am drooling here.It looks very traditional and authentic chaat.Thank you so much.I love these kind of food.I will try this weekend:)

Sharmi said...

thats a different combination. never had poha with chana curry. your pics look nice too.

Richa said...

chana and poha, what a unique combination, very new to me.
Thanks for sharing ur recipess.

Shivapriya said...

Wow!! looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Manjulaaaaaa, I can't wait to come back and try this recipe of yours.
Looks so good!!!.
You are the best blogger I've ever seen, and yours is the only blog that I read.Thank's Manjula for sharing your recipes.

musical said...

Manjula, the kadle bajil looks ery good. i HAVE TO try this dish soon. lovely recipe, dear-thanks a lot.

and the tradition of serving pohe with ripe banana reminds me of the Kerala tradition of having upma with banana. it feels good to know how different cultures overlap.

Have a great weekend :)

Kajal said...

Hi Manjula,
You have such a nice presentation of every item.
We are all eating Chana on Fridays not every but tomorrow. But I do not what a message behind eating Chana.
Great idea of making chutney with use of poha.
I will try it definitely.
Thanks for your lovely reply to my blog.
Keep in touch.
Take Care.
Kajal

Anonymous said...

Never heard of this combo before. My hubby loves phovu. So I will try this combo next time.Thanks.

Anonymous said...

wow what a tasteeeeeeey, noted all the recipes in my note book..vist my blog

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hey Manjula,
This is a typical south indian dish.Hmm sajjege bajil and the kadle dish.Love this and i also made this kadle dish in the weekend.he...e..he..

Anonymous said...

manjula, that looks like an authentic dish. i am drooling now.

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Hey, I was infact searching for this POha recipe!!! I had tasted it at one of my friends place and had liked it a lot!!! tx for sharing it!! :)

Btw, have posted the avarekai uppittu recipe. check it out!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Manjula,

Tried this yest and we both liked it very much. This is one of my fav, mom used to prepare this on festive days when we were expecting lunch to be very late. Since this is very filling , it was a good choice. Thanks for mentioning spinach-mushroom combo in your cookathon.

Uj said...

Hi Manjula,

My hubby made this for me for breakfast today. I am down with fever. He just searched in few of the blogs and settled to your recipe as I was mentioning to him the other day about your blog. It is his first attempt to make phovu But it came out really well. Thank you dear

Anu Barkur said...

We do make the phovu-chano combination but just that the kaldo is usli consistency and not a soup as you mentioned . This is how it is made in udupi side . looks delicious though

Anu Barkur said...

We do make the phovu-chano combination but just that the kaldo is usli consistency and not a soup as you mentioned . This is how it is made in udupi side . looks delicious though