Dec 25, 2010

Thai fish cake & Sweet chilli sauce



It has been a while since I posted. I hope this will be the beginning of a new episode for my blog. Thanks to all my reader and friends who have been writing and encouraging me to get back to blogging.
Its been a while since I tried any new recipes. When I did I have been procrastinating for a long time.

Recently I was in a mood to try something new with Thai dishes. I looked for Thai fish cake recipes and decided on trying a combination of few recipes including the ingredients that I am comfortable with.



Here's the recipe

Thai Fish Cake

1 tsp coriander pwd
1/2 tsp cumin/jeera pwd
1/2 tsp chili pwd
2 fresh green chillies(adjust to desired spicy heat)
small piece of jaggery (about size of a key lime)
1 tbsp soy sauce
3 cloves garlic minced
1" ginger minced
3 green onion/scallion,
8 lime leaves, thinly sliced
small piece of lemongrass
2 long beans/alasande

3 tsp coconut milk, optional
2 tsp corn starch, if required..see the recipe

2 medium fillets of tilapia/cape hake/any white fish
Oil for frying

Prep the ingredients and keep everything ready.
Keep the white and green part of the scallion separate.
Thinly slice the long beans.
Clean the fish and chop into small cubes.

In a food processor combine all ingredients except fish, long beans and the scallion greens. Run the food processor for 30seconds to a min till the ingredients mix well..take care not to mush the ingredients.Add 1/2 tsp salt and the fish chunks and run the food processor till the fish is minced and turns into a paste.

In a bowl, combine the fish paste, long beans slices and the scallion greens. Mix well. If the paste is too thin, add the corn starch and mix well. Refrigerate the mixture for 15Min's.

You can use the wait time to clean up the kitchen and heat the oil for frying.

When you are ready to fry the cakes, take a golf ball sized paste, shape into a ball and flatten to form patties. Wetting your palms with little water helps prevent the paste from sticking to your palms.

Deep fry in oil, turn half way. Fry both sides.

I served the fishcakes with a home made hot sweet chilli sauce(see recipe below) and a store bought peanut sauce

Sweet Chilli Sauce
1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 - 1.5 cup sugar
2 tsp tomato ketchup
2 tsp chilli garlic sauce
1 tsp minced ginger
1 green chilli thinly sliced
salt
2 tsp corn starch

In a sauce pot, combine water and vinegar and bring it to a boil. Add 1 cup sugar, continue boiling for 8-10 Min's. Taste the mixture..it should be a good sweet and sour taste. Add sugar, if need till the taste is balanced. Add the rest of ingredients and whisk well. Mix corn starch with 2 tsp of water into a smooth paste and add to the boiling sauce continuously whisking. Boil for another 30 seconds and remove from heat. Let it cool down and its ready to serve.

3 comments:

Smitha Sathish said...

Back to blogging..? good. hope to see lot more recies.

Manjula said...

Hi Smitha,

You should surely try this one and the sauce too.
When I tasted the sauce, I decided I have to share this one with friends for sure..

Linda said...

Oh, I love Thai food too! Thanks for this -- Happy New Year!